[GTALUG] Did I buy the wrong network card? (RTL8812AE)

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 12:24:48 EDT 2017

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Hi -
> For the new computer I just built, I bought a D-Link DWA-582 802.11ac
> PCIe adapter. It's based on the Realtek RTL8812AE chipset. Does anyone
> know the particular magic to get these going, please?
>
> From the start on Ubuntu Gnome, the card would work for about 15
> minutes, then disassociate itself from the router. It might occasionally
> spring back to life for a few minutes, but there didn't seem to be
> anything special I was doing to get it reconnected.
>
> I've updated the firmware blob(s) from the Realtek linux maintainer's
> site. Older posts about this chipset say it's a power management
> problem, but the newest firmware supposedly fixes this.
>
> Should I have bought a different card? What 802.11ac cards work for
> people here? I'm not super keen on drilling holes in the floor to snake
> an ethernet cable up from the basement.
>
> cheers,
>  Stewart

This might be an ILP (Instruction Level Parallel​isim) feature of systemd init.

Take a look at how systemd deals with IVP routing tables using network.target here.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

Specifically, the section titled.

Cut the crap! How do I make network.target work for me?

Hope this helps.

--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail