[GTALUG] Did I buy the wrong network card? (RTL8812AE)

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Sat May 13 11:06:53 EDT 2017

I wish we'd covered wifi when building out your machine. It somehow just
got missed/assumed by me you would be wired.

I've got a Intel 7260 mPCIe card sitting spare. It came off a mini-itx
board that wasn't going to need it (I substituted in a mPCIe 4-port USB3
card instead).

This one specifically.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intel_Dual_Band_Wireless-AC_7260_(7260HMW)

Just needs an adapter like this for your purposes. I have the Antenna it
came with.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9UP3HC0702

Or if you want to buy a complete set outright:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7RD2WW7170
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Intel_Dual_Band_Wireless-AC_7260_(7260HMWDTX1)

On 13/05/17 07:40 AM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> Hi -
> For the new computer I just built, I bought a D-Link DWA-582 802.11ac
> PCIe adapter. It's based on the Realtek RTL8812AE chipset. Does anyone
> know the particular magic to get these going, please?
>
>  From the start on Ubuntu Gnome, the card would work for about 15
> minutes, then disassociate itself from the router. It might occasionally
> spring back to life for a few minutes, but there didn't seem to be
> anything special I was doing to get it reconnected.
>
> I've updated the firmware blob(s) from the Realtek linux maintainer's
> site. Older posts about this chipset say it's a power management
> problem, but the newest firmware supposedly fixes this.
>
> Should I have bought a different card? What 802.11ac cards work for
> people here? I'm not super keen on drilling holes in the floor to snake
> an ethernet cable up from the basement.
>
> cheers,
>   Stewart

Scott Sullivan