[GTALUG] Did I buy the wrong network card? (RTL8812AE)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat May 13 07:40:21 EDT 2017

Hi -
For the new computer I just built, I bought a D-Link DWA-582 802.11ac
PCIe adapter. It's based on the Realtek RTL8812AE chipset. Does anyone
know the particular magic to get these going, please?

>From the start on Ubuntu Gnome, the card would work for about 15
minutes, then disassociate itself from the router. It might occasionally
spring back to life for a few minutes, but there didn't seem to be
anything special I was doing to get it reconnected.

I've updated the firmware blob(s) from the Realtek linux maintainer's
site. Older posts about this chipset say it's a power management
problem, but the newest firmware supposedly fixes this.

Should I have bought a different card? What 802.11ac cards work for
people here? I'm not super keen on drilling holes in the floor to snake
an ethernet cable up from the basement.

cheers,
 Stewart