[GTALUG] Any experience with these FOSS platforms?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Mon May 8 14:14:10 EDT 2017

On 05/05/17 03:21 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> A group I'm working with is looking to see if the following self-hosted FOSS
> tools are a worthwhile migration from their closed alternatives:
>
>   * Mattermost - for group collaboration, instead of Slack

I host this for a team. Haven't used it (or Slack) really myself, but as far as
hosting and admin goes, it's quite easy to set up and use.

>   [...]
>   * BigBlueButton - for webinars, instead of Adobe Connect or GoToWebinar

I've hosted this for several years. Biggest reason I don't use it myself is that
the client requires Flash. Also a bit awkward to have to integrate with another
web application as a front-end. I find it had a lot of potential, but feels kind
of awkward to use and admin, and doesn't seem to have grown much over the last 5
years (unless I just haven't been paying attention). It did serve our team well
for several years though in terms of screen sharing remote meetings.