[GTALUG] BOOST, the big package with the bad install instructions

dank at enggrp.com dank at enggrp.com
Mon Mar 20 09:42:59 EDT 2017

Hello to all,

I'm a Toronto linux dev guy and have been lurking on this email reflector
a while, this is the first thing I thought I have thats possibly
meaningful to contribute.

If you never heard of the "Boost library" that's odd as its pretty self
promotional, and is also very high in quality. About it:

  http://www.boost.org/users/index.html

A lot of whats in it is test bed-ish to go into next official c++
versions.

I have a commercial SBC for telecom that uses it. When moving up a
version, its occurred to me after days of grueling effort, the install
instructions are pretty wacky, that is, the process itself is fine, but
the instructions are 2 years old and the particular mistakes ( mostly of
omission ) make it hard to get results.

Im making a LaTeX PDF of the misadventure and more importantly, its fixes.

So if you are a BOOST success story, stuck or whatever, ask and I will
post it someplace, etc.

Maybe, maybe an actual f2f talk on it, if theres a lot of folks trying to
figure out how to wedge it into ( your ? ) projects. Look at all the fancy
stuff in there !

Look at this list of really high quality source code:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/

You can save months of labor and get pretested stuff, but you know, you
have to 'get' how to make it hop to your wishes, and its a little bit
messy in reality....

Regards,
Dan Kolis

my ref: boost, gtalug