[GTALUG] DMA kernel attacks

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 17 15:11:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 02:53:03PM -0400, Russell Reiter wrote:
> Ok to recap. You assumed you needed to turn off the computer to install
> PCIe. You learned PCIe is hot pluggable. You assumed the card had to be
> plugged into the target machine, you learned it did not.

Well no.  I already knew PCIe could be hot plugable and also knew it
usually is not.  expresscard on the other hand always is, I just forgot
it existed and didn't think the device in question would work with that.

Brain initially says: PCIe attack implies desktop which doesn't have
hotplug implies this is irrelevant. :)

> I was just pointing out why you made those false assumptions and then
> wrongly designated the information as irrelevant.
>
> Its because I didn't explicitly describe what was so obvious in the video.
>
> I'd normally politely say my bad but in this case I think not.

If I had watched the video from the start initially it might have helped.
Unfortunately youtube helped and made the link you posted start at a
few minutes from the end.  Youtube can be annoying at times.

And yes the "over usb3" comment did give the wrong initial impression.

In the end it does seem like a neat trick.

--
Len Sorensen