[GTALUG] DMA kernel attacks

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 14:53:03 EDT 2017

On Mar 17, 2017 2:22 PM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 04:41:36PM -0400, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> <rreiter91 at gmail.com>
> Date: Mar 16, 2017 12:49 PM
> Subject: Re: [GTALUG] DMA kernel attacks
> To: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
>
> On Mar 13, 2017 10:50 AM, "Russell Reiter" <rreiter91 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mar 13, 2017 10:27 AM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
>
> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 01:02:45PM -0500, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> > Another DEFCON talk. This is a hardware attack on M$, OSX & Linux,
> PCIleech
> > = 150mbs over usb3.
>

> Sorry, I wasn't clear here. The PCI card goes in the attacking machine.
The
> steal is over USB. Two tries for the linux box.

<snip the part deemed irrelevant>

> target machine.  This is pretty much just irrelevant.
>

> Maybe to you. I dont consider increase of transfer rate from 3mbs to
150mbs
> irrelevant by any means.
>
> Just because I highlight one bit of information which I gleaned from a
> source and wanted to share, as a matter of general interest; this doesent
> mean I didn't want you to learn from the post.
>
> I did it because I do want you to learn from it. Like you just now learned
> PCIe can be accessed without rebooting.
>

> Among other things.
>

> --
> Len Sorensen

I am afraid I can't figure out what the reply was or to what.

Even going through the hassle of trying to view the html version didn't
help much.

Ok to recap. You assumed you needed to turn off the computer to install
PCIe. You learned PCIe is hot pluggable. You assumed the card had to be
plugged into the target machine, you learned it did not.

I was just pointing out why you made those false assumptions and then
wrongly designated the information as irrelevant.

Its because I didn't explicitly describe what was so obvious in the video.

I'd normally politely say my bad but in this case I think not.

--
Len Sorensen