[GTALUG] mailing list issue

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 14 14:32:08 EDT 2017

I'm receiving much of my email through an ancient server.  I hope to fix
that.

Some of my messages from the GTALUG list are dammaged.  Basically, the
newlines are lost.  I suspect that this is due to my server, but at least
some of the problem is the GTALUG list handling software.

For example, Chris Browne just sent a message to the list and CCed me.
The copy that went directly was fine.  The copy that went through the
GTALUG is mangled.

The direct copy was transmitted in plain text, UTF-8:

The copy from the list had been changed to base64 by the list sofware:

I expect that my systems MIME Autoconverter is wrong but why is the
list software creating base64 where none existed before?

Other observations:

Not all my mail goes through that gateway.  The simple (non-MIME) messages
that come via another gateway seem to all be in base 64.  Why?

Not all my GTALUG mail that goes through that gateway gets mangled.
For example, the message about dinner that I sent to the list didn't get
mangled.

This seems to have started happening in late September.