[GTALUG] Updating Wheezy to Jessie

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 13 10:14:35 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 02:08:38PM -0400, David Mason via talk wrote:
> I have a server at home that tends to be install and forget.
>
> It's running Wheezy and zfsonlinux.  Unfortunately zfsonlinux no longer
> supports Wheezy, so upgrading isn't as straight-forward as I would hope.
>
> I am following instructions at https://www.howtoforge.com/
> tutorial/how-to-upgrade-debian-wheezy-to-jessie-stable-release/ and one of
> the early steps is to do apt-get update which gets some "No public key
> available" for the zfsonlinux/wheezy links. This leads to the following:
>
> root at server:/etc/apt# apt-get upgrade

You MUST use dist-upgrade not upgrade when going between releases.

upgrade will ONLY upgrade packages that are already installed with the
exact same name.  dist-upgrade will allow new packages to be installed
to satisfy dependencies and to allow transitions from old package names
to new package names.

Personally I never use upgrade at all, since dist-upgrade always does
the right thing.

--
Len Sorensen