[GTALUG] Git/Gitolite Question

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 8 10:39:52 EST 2017

I have a repository cloned from an original master repository -- but
the server it was taken from, hosting the original master repository
with git/gitolite, is now defunct, leaving me with only my cloned
repository.

I have now set up another server running git and gitolite, and I can
successfully log in via ssh, clone/pull/push the gitolite-admin repo,
and add a new bare repo to that server by editing gitolite-admin, all
as it should be.

How do I take the old repository cloned from the defunct server and
set it up as master on the new git/gitolite server? There are a few steps
involved, and it isn't clear how or in what order to carry them out:

  (1) put the old repository on the new git/gitolite server,
      to be managed by gitolite

  (2) make that repository on the new git/gitolite server to
      be the master/origin from now on

From looking at the documentation and googling around, it seems like
I can accomplish (1) by just modifying the gitolite-admin on my local
machine to add a "new" repository (namely the old cloned repository)
to which I give myself access.  One thing I'm not clear about is
whether I then put the old cloned repository in the proper place in
my filesystem and then push the changes to gitolite-admin, or first
push the changes so that there is a "new" empty repo created by
gitolite, pull the empty repo, replace it with the old cloned repo,
or what.

Anyway, at some point in the process (after the above? in the middle?)
I need to set git/gitolite up to point to the old cloned repository,
now managed by gitolite, to be the orgin/master.  When?

Sorry for the elementary questions, but I don't want to make any
mistakes in re-situating the old cloned repository.  If anyone knows
the answers and can tell me, preferably assuming that I'm a complete
novice to git/gitolite, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3311 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42