[GTALUG] General Hacker Stuff -Point of Sale and other exploits

Daniel Villarreal youcanlinux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 08:40:23 EST 2017

On 03/02/17 08:08, Alvin Starr via talk wrote:
> On 03/02/2017 07:31 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 2017 3:51 AM, "ac via talk" <talk at gtalug.org
>> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>>
>>Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>>>... A guy I worked for years ago with seeing people with "will work for
>>> food" signs on the side of the road in California said.
>>> "America is a third world country. They just don't know it yet".
>> The US has always been the third world; in post columbian discovery,
>> after Eurasia and Africa. Typically, like the youngest in a clan it is
>> favoured, demanding, petulant, selfish and envied. Just like its
>> current president.
> That is not completely fair.
>
> For a time the U.S. lead the world in progressive thinking.
> For example the idea of rebuilding things after WWII instead of seaking
> huge war reparations.
> I would argue that the 50s to the 70's were the summit of progressive
> U.S. society.
>
> In that period they managed to screw a  lot of things up but the general
> trend was for a more open society and that has clearly reversed.
>
> Now the best you can say is "America. The longest life expectancy of all
> third world countries" .
> If you want an eye opener take a look at the CIA world statistics web
> site(https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/).
> Its their own facts not something cooked up by those "lefty-leaning U.N.
> types".
>
>> As for america not knowing it yet. That too is a condition of the young.

I remember we used to have a lot of LUG meetings and LAN parties back in
the States. Times have changed, I reckon that these things are more or
less a thing of the past.

Nowadays it's not so convenient for me to attend LUG meetings. I feel
it's important to do so, if one is into open-source operating systems.

As my children get older, perhaps they will join me for some LUG meetings.