[GTALUG] General Hacker Stuff -Point of Sale and other exploits

ac ac at main.me
Thu Mar 2 03:49:47 EST 2017

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:30:33 -0500
Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Heading out on a trip a little while back we asked our credit card
> company if we needed to notify them.
> The response was we only needed to notify them if we were heading to
> the U.S. because it is just about the last place on earth that still
> uses magstripe credit cards.
> A guy I worked for years ago with seeing people with "will work for
> food" signs on the side of the road in California said.
>
> "America is a third world country. They just don't know it yet".

dude, you are soooo funny!

I was so surprised to be able to pay with my mobile in Walmart (and
even at Dollar Store etc) on my last trip to the US
(so, it was almost like home (and I live in a small town in Africa, -here
we cannot swipe either - you either have to have a smart phone or
a chip card, etc) but, yeah, most people in the US still swipe....
maybe it is also the cost of re-issuing cards as every consumer
seems to have at least 50 cards (I only have one) so I had "card
envy" :)

ymmv but Americans love swiping :)

ac