[GTALUG] General Hacker Stuff -Point of Sale and other exploits

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 18:25:12 EST 2017

Forgot to reply to all so Dee's getting this twice. Sorry

On Mar 1, 2017 5:25 PM, "o1bigtenor" <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:
> IMHO Here's a link to a must see Defcon 24 video.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_0k9Fh590
>
> Modern Magstripe hacking & more.
>
> They're using iron oxide not ammonium dichromate as I related in an
earlier
> post but; refunding to a different credit card than the original one
> charged. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.
>
> Does everything old become new again and if so how quickly does that
happen?

When it comes to computers I'm thinking somewhere between 5 and 10 years.
In regards to a lot of other areas its seems like the head shift every
25 to 30 some years
means that there is a lot of redoing because that research, from the
early part of
the previous cycle, has been forgotten!

I like a quote from the video, paraphrasing ... behind every point of sale
system, there is an obsolete operating system.

So you gotta wonder, is it forgotten or conviently omitted? I call this the
RANDdumb factor.

Microsofts first security flaw was when Bill Gates lost the punch tape at
the faire. I don't see that they've impoved on that layer of trust at all.

Why should they, in confusion there is profit. Microsoft & partners are
very, very profitable. Thats why what they really sell is a solution to a
problem which they themselves created by coveting a market, instead of
opening up standards to a higher level of knowledge and oversight.

Russell

Regards

Dee