[GTALUG] Watching a network folder: is there a smart way of doing this?

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 08:07:58 EST 2017

On Feb 24, 2017 9:24 PM, "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

On 2017-02-20 12:47 AM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:

> Hi Stewart, you could just |watch| the file listing (adjusting n seconds
> to whatever is suitable)
>
> |watch --differences -n 10 ls -l </path/to/shared/dir>|
<snip>

I suspect I'll just have to go with William Park's suggestion of using
rsync to a local folder that I have more control over. I still have to
correct for the scanner FS's wandering clock, but that's less important.

Just a suggstion for the future, in case rsync doesn't work out.

It is generally a good idea to abstract a problem against a diagnostic
tool.

I tend to use the OSI model as it was the one I was first exposed to. It
describes system in seven functional layers. So your problem looks like
this, in my way of thinking.

(In reverse of the typically cited order as this is troubleshooting and not
design.)

Physical
All the hardware bits and their attachments, location to location hops.
- scanner is CCD.

Data
- using block image transfers and also mounted as a CIFS - user read write?
or r/o in terminal character mode

Network
- physical, broadcast, distributed ie where are the possible rx / tx
collisions

Transport
- TCP/IP - IPV* etc
-paying attention to points which may transliterate values ie. converting
ascii to ebdic or other cartograph.

Session
- Managed by policy - SElinux? other?

Presentation
- maybe Server Message Block issues? any windows bugs attached?

Application
- well you dont have access to job control functions in order to receive
reports. Thats a pretty poor implimentation of an application.

Typically any member of the scanner group would be forwarded the messages
root gets, filtered on a need to know basis and by session constraints.

Hope this helps
Russell

cheers,
 Stewart