[GTALUG] Linux hardening question

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Thu Jun 29 18:32:58 EDT 2017

I have worked with telecommunications and networks for many years (I
first worked on a computer network in 1978, before there was such a
thing as Ethernet or IPv4) and often see IPv6 in my work.  I cannot say
I'm not going to work with it or the customer shouldn't use it.  I have
to be prepared to deal with the situation and these days that includes
being competent with IPv6.  Also, I wasn't referring to home users when
I was talking about hardening.  Much of my work has been in high
security data centres, where there are public web sites, among others,
running in a protected environment.  In today's world, working with IPv6
is part of the job and disabling it, when it is the future, is just
plain incompetence.  If you can't protect attacks via IPv6 as you would
via IPv4, you really should be looking for another job.  IPv6 is here
now, learn to deal with it, instead of hiding from it.  It's not going away.