[GTALUG] Linux hardening question

Ansar Mohammed ansarm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:31:10 EDT 2017

IMHO if you are looking for a hardened system you should not start with
Ubuntu.
Ubuntu is what l like to call 'kitchen sink Linux'

Start with a minimal Debian install, then add the packages you need
incrementally.
Package removal is never an exact rollback of package installation.

Then add your IDS, customize whatever host based firewall.
Disable IPv6.
Disable broadcast icmp.

Etcetera etcetera etcetera ....