[GTALUG] Linux hardening question

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 11:34:27 EDT 2017

On 27 June 2017 at 19:53, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 2017-06-27 07:37 PM, Truth Hacker via talk wrote:
>>
>> I am starting to go down the road to harden a Linux server, I am using
>> the Ubuntu server image as my starting point.
>
> [snip]
>>
>> Q: What service should I consider disabling from starting automatically.
>

> Disable any service you won't need for what you are going to be doing with
> the machine. :)

Better still, uninstall...

The OpenBSD philosophy is that they set up virtually all services as
deactivated by default; you are expected to configure and activate anything
that you need.

That's philosophically pretty approprate.

Unfortunately, some services may induce others that you weren't expecting.

At any rate, reviewing /etc/init.d, /lib/systemd/system, and such is a wise
idea.

> You may also want to "chmod 711 /etc", FWIW.

That means that non-root-space applications will have no access to their
configuration in /etc, thereby breaking services.

Notable ones I notice there include:
 - Oops, your shell can't get at defaults under /etc
 - Postgres default configuration on my Debian system
 - MySQL default configuration

It also breaks users' DNS resolution, normally controlled
by /etc/resolv.conf

/etc/passwd is probably needful too...

I wouldn't be too quick to chmod /etc ...