[GTALUG] Backing up Windows Machines to Linux NAS,

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Jun 27 21:59:19 EDT 2017

On 06/27/2017 09:23 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk wrote:
> I'm sure many of us have friends and family with Windows Machines. And
> the savvy among us run our own Linux Backup server / NAS boxes.
>
> How do you get regular, automated copies of data off said Windows
> machines?
>
> I would like to only hear from folks that actively using a solution.
> Not a list of 'exercise for the reader' google results.
>

> # Goal:
>
> To recover from a ransom-ware infection, by pulling the last clean
> snapshot of user data from the NAS.
>
> # Assumptions:
>
> Snapshots are handled by the Backup Server / NAS at a FS layer (ZFS /
> BTRFS), or by the server side backup software.
>
> # Nice to haves:
>
> * In-transit encryption.
>
> # Not an Acceptable Answers:
>
> Open Samba on the windows box, mounting it on the backup server, and
> running rsync regularly.
>

> Thanks in advance!

rdiff-backup will run on windows and claims to be able to store windows
file attributes.
I have used it  and it works but not being much for windows I did not do
a whole lot with it.
rdiff-backup uses ssh for communication so the link is encrypted but the
data on the storage end is not.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||