[GTALUG] Linux hardening question

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Tue Jun 27 19:53:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-27 07:37 PM, Truth Hacker via talk wrote:
> I am starting to go down the road to harden a Linux server, I am using
> the Ubuntu server image as my starting point.
[snip]
> Q: What service should I consider disabling from starting automatically.

Disable any service you won't need for what you are going to be doing with
the machine. :)

> I am reading up on iptable and also know about ufw, but not sure how
> to setup a good firewall, like what to block and not.

It depends on the extent to which you want to harden the machine. One way to
set up a firewall is deny everything by default then open the holes for the
services you need. firewalld is also a firewall related package I've been
running across lately.

Install logwatch and have it send the logs to you on a daily basis.
Use fail2ban to automatically firewall any machine who fails too many times
to login via SSH.

You may also want to "chmod 711 /etc", FWIW.

If you are really serious about hardening a machine read up on SELinux.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.