[GTALUG] cheap today: 43 inch UltraHD TV

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 21:06:30 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 9:30 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> tl;dr: if you yearn for monitor resolution, have I got a deal for you!
>
> <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/real-canadian-superstore-
> rcss-haier-uhd-4k-tv-43-55-298-468-no-tax-june-24th-2096245/>
>
> I use a cheap and nasty 39" UltraHD TV as my desktop monitor.  I am very
> happy with the experience.
>
> Real Canadian Superstore is selling 43" UltraHD TVs for $298 + EHF but
> with HST already included in that price ($263.72 before taxes).  I expect
> that it is a better TV than my 3 year old 39".
>
> I imagine 43" is a good size for a desktop monitor, but I'm not sure.  I'm
> happy with 39"
>
> - I can view it at monitor-distance (25"?  I haven't measured) and see
>   text on it at normal pixels/character
>
> - I don't get whiplash looking around on my screen (but I do have glasses
>   dedicated to this task -- a great investment)
>
> - it fits on my desk
>
> - it has multiple inputs so I can connect several computers at once
>
> There are flaws with my monitor.  At full resolution (the only one I every
> use) it only refreshes at 30Hz.  I don't find that bad (I don't game) but
> I think that the 43" monitor does not have this limitation.
>
> Many TV sets do "chroma sub-sampling"
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling>
> This means that the colour (not brightness) on adjacent pixels is not
> totally independant.  My monitor uses 4:2:2 sampling and that creates
> "artifacts" in some cases.  I really dislike this in theory but I have
> rarely found it to be a problem.  I have no idea what chroma subsampling,
> if any, the 43" TV does.  I would guess 4:2:2.
>
> I expect to replace my TV when a cheap one comes out with HDR (High
> Dynamic Range) and no chroma subsampling.
>
> TV sets don't have DisplayPort inputs.  Too bad.  HDMI has struggled to
> keep up with the bandwidth of UltraHD.  My TV's 30Hz limitation came from
> that (the HDMI standard has since been upgraded).  Not all video cards can
> handle this.
>
> Nouveau doesn't drive my monitor properly so I'm using the proprietary
> nvidia driver.  Nouveau may have been fixed but I only test every year or
> so.  I don't have a powerful enough ATI card to test.  I haven't tried
> Intel GPUs.

Sounds like a decent idea if you only want 1 (!) monitor.
Me - - I went for 4  - - 1900 x 1080 IIRC and for that you MUST use the
nvidia
drivers and that install was a real hoot!
(My system is 3 monitors in a landscape mode and one in a portrait mode.
The vertical one is used a lot when reading pdfs.)

Dee