[GTALUG] Difference with Git in Windows vs Linux

Jim Ruxton cinetron at passport.ca
Sat Jun 17 12:40:23 EDT 2017

>> On 2017-06-17 03:03 AM, Jim Ruxton via talk wrote:
>>> I am having an issue wtih git that is driving me a bit nuts and
>>> wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I set up a bare git
>>> repository on my Google Drive. I pushed a repository that I created
>>> on my Linux machine to it . I can clone it back to another folder
>>> on my Linux machine but for some reason I can not clone it to a
>>> folder on Windows? The Google Drive folder is set up as a local
>>> drive on both machines and seems to work fine. I can copy and read
>>> files from it.  locally. I am using Git Bash on Windows. The
>>> command I am using to try and clone the repository on the Windows
>>> machine in Git Bash is:
>>>
>>> git clone ~/Google\ Drive/git/ProjectFolder.git/ /
> Names with spaces need to be quoted, as in:
>
> 	git clone "~/Google Drive/git/ProjectFolder.git/" /
>
> And some folder commands have a hard time with a slash at the end. You
> might also try:
>
> 	git clone ~/Google\ Drive/git/ProjectFolder.git /
>
> or
>
> 	git clone "~/Google Drive/git/ProjectFolder.git" /

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried moving the ProjectFolder.git
folder to my Documents folder and tried cloning from there with the same
result so I am quite sure it is not an issue with spaces in the file
name. I just tried creating the bare repository from the windows machine
and pushing it to Google Drive from the windows machine. I then had no
problem cloning to anywhere on my Windows machine. However now the Linux
machine doesn't recognize the ProjectFolder.git as valid?? It is as if
my Windows git and Linux git speak different languages. Very puzzling?
Both machines have no problem cloning from github however.

Jim