[GTALUG] Difference with Git in Windows vs Linux

Jim Ruxton cinetron at passport.ca
Sat Jun 17 03:03:05 EDT 2017

I am having an issue wtih git that is driving me a bit nuts and
wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I set up a bare git repository on
my Google Drive. I pushed a repository that I created on my Linux
machine to it . I can clone it back to another folder on my Linux
machine but for some reason I can not clone it to a folder on Windows?
The Google Drive folder is set up as a local drive on both machines and
seems to work fine. I can copy and read files from it.  locally. I am
using Git Bash on Windows. The command I am using to try and clone the
repository on the Windows machine in Git Bash is:

git clone ~/Google\ Drive/git/ProjectFolder.git/
/

I get an error message stating that this does not appear to be a valid
repository and to makes sure that I have the correct access rights. I
get the same results using the git GUI in Windows.

This is the same folder I have no problem cloning on Linux

Also if I go into ProjectFolder.git in Git Bash and do a "git fetch"
command I get the message that it is not a git repository. If I look at
the ProjectFolder.git it looks like a git repository to me, ie. the file
structure is correct. I also tried to copy the folder to somewhere else
, ie. not on Google Drive and it gives the same result. Again that same
repository clones perfectly on Linux so what gives, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim