[GTALUG] Question [about network security and privacy]

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 06:49:07 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 11:21 PM, ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:25:28 -0400 (EDT)
> "D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > | That way the control is what I chose and the information I share is
> > my own | security/privacy trade-off.
> >
> +1
>
> > All systems other than Linux and other open source OSes (BSD,
> > FreeDOS...) seem to have migrated to oversharing.  And even on Linux,
> > some important applications programs seem to be headed that way
> > (Firefox?).
> >
> with the advent of strong encryption it is in the best interests of
> multinationals
> and governments (+1% and Capital) that there are other ways of obtaining
> data.
>
> it would be trivial for the same players to make every person in the world
> 100% secure
> and private, if that was the objective.

snip

As I don't want to be one of the 'chickens' I am wanting a way of shutting
down
a black box internal cell phone wireless transmitter. I need to use the
black box,
would very much rather not but for health reasons its quite useful, but
don't want
the stupid thing to be transmitting. According to the 'idiots' selling the
thing it will
only transmit AFTER its been logged onto the companies 'cloud' (like I'm
going to
pay for insecurity!!). There seems to be no understanding that
1. I don't want their access to my data
2. I don't want the machine looking for a cell network.

Somehow the sellers (and manufacturer) are missing the point that if the
machine can send cell phone signals it can also receive them - - - and I
won't
allow that if I can help it. The machine has what is termed an 'airplane'
mode but
use of this results in regular requests to be taken off of that mode. ET is
desperate
to call home.

How could I disable this 'feature'?

Dee