[GTALUG] Question

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 13:57:46 EDT 2017

Can't help much with the security, but IoT security is typically hilarious.
I have a potentially nice Linux/MIPS-based Onion Omega 2+ IoT board. When
it's on a wireless network, I can't find a way to turn off its access
point. As the AP has a trivially-guessable default password, it would open
a nice hole into my network. Well, it would if it weren't wrapped in a box,
unplugged ...

I sometimes wonder if the extreme cheapness of some of the WiFi IoT things
are predicated on being able to mine valuable info from owner's networks.
I'm particularly thinking of the <$10 ESP8266 boards - if you're not paying
for the product, you *are* the product.

(Sorry I won't make it out for the meeting, but I did slightly over-promise
myself for a Raspberry Pi event on the weekend, so soldering and acrylic
varnish must prevail. It's good to be working again: Elmwood Electronics -
https://elmwood.to - has all the best toys.)

 Stewart