[GTALUG] Question [about network security and privacy]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jun 13 13:25:28 EDT 2017

| From: Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| You can have either security or usability but almost never both.

Not always a direct tradeoff, but certainly often.

| I like devices that I can control from inside the perimiter of my own somewhat
| secured network.

I'e concluded that you need multiple internal networks since it is
really hard to trust black boxes.  For example, I now have IP security
cameras and cannot audit the firmware.  Those guys are not going on my
main home LAN.

| That way the control is what I chose and the information I share is my own
| security/privacy trade-off.

Most relevant to TLUG:

All systems other than Linux and other open source OSes (BSD,
FreeDOS...) seem to have migrated to oversharing.  And even on Linux,
some important applications programs seem to be headed that way
(Firefox?).

In this they are following the lead of the Web, then Android and iOS.
It's really sad how Microsoft gave away Windows' advantage over the
cloud-based model.