[GTALUG] Question

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Tue Jun 13 07:33:55 EDT 2017

On 06/13/2017 06:57 AM, o1bigtenor wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>

>     You can never be paranoid enough.
>
>     What your looking for is a tempest enclosure.
>     Its basically a Faraday cage but tested to NATO et al
>     standards.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename))
>     <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_%28codename%29%29>.
>     A bunch of years ago I was dealing with CSE and got to learn that
>     you can read a CRT screen from a good distance away (I vaguely
>     remember it was on the order of a KM or so). There is apparently
>     at least 1 tempest building in Ottawa that got screwed up because
>     someone cut some holes for plumbing.
>     So your not the first person worried about others capturing your
>     radiated signal.
>
>     Not that long ago I read an ACM article talking about being able
>     to read an LCD screen in the next room from RF and then there was
>     another ACM article about being able to read a screen from the
>     reflection off a persons eyeballs.
>
>     So to keep completely safe.
>     1) remove the battery
>     2) wrap it in aluminum foil
>     3) wrap it in copper foil
>     4) solder the edges.
>

> Greetings
>
> Why - - - I do believe that that would work - - - except then the
> device isn't usable - - - shucks!!!
>
> Dee

You can have either security or usability but almost never both.

As for IoT. Its is most often bundled with "cloud" control and that is
where I have a problem.
The idea of networks of devices is great.
Being able to control and monitor "things" over an internal wireless
network is nice.
Of course that is predicated on the wireless protocol being secure and
very hard to hack.

The problem quickly becomes all those devices like the Nest thermostat
where your device is controlled and connected to some foreign corporation.
They chose how you interact and if they decide to get out of the
business(or go out of business) then your hardware is now just so much
wall decoration.
Then there is the fact that they can extract information about you by
the way you control your devices and that is just a little bit creepy.

I like devices that I can control from inside the perimiter of my own
somewhat secured network.
That way the control is what I chose and the information I share is my
own security/privacy trade-off.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||