[GTALUG] Question

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Jun 12 22:44:18 EDT 2017

You can never be paranoid enough.

What your looking for is a tempest enclosure.
Its basically a Faraday cage but tested to NATO et al
standards.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename)).
A bunch of years ago I was dealing with CSE and got to learn that you
can read a CRT screen from a good distance away (I vaguely remember it
was on the order of a KM or so). There is apparently at least 1 tempest
building in Ottawa that got screwed up because someone cut some holes
for plumbing.
So your not the first person worried about others capturing your
radiated signal.

Not that long ago I read an ACM article talking about being able to read
an LCD screen in the next room from RF and then there was another ACM
article about being able to read a screen from the reflection off a
persons eyeballs.

So to keep completely safe.
1) remove the battery
2) wrap it in aluminum foil
3) wrap it in copper foil
4) solder the edges.

On 06/12/2017 05:56 PM, Mauro Souza via talk wrote:
> A Faraday cage is enough. Put the machine inside a grounded metallic
> box, and you are good to go.
>
> Opening the machine and removing the wireless modules, or cutting
> traces giving power to the wireless module would be more permanent,
> but a Faraday cage is faster to deploy and "undeploy."
>

> On Jun 12, 2017 18:44, "o1bigtenor via talk" <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings
>
>     Many companies are now developing equipment for home use that is
>     for the latest
>     buzz in the world - - IoT (more morons them!).
>
>     There is, as a result, the need to be searching for a cell phone
>     signal (a wireless section that can only be put in airplane mode
>     not an off). This machine behavior has me very concerned about my
>     personal information security.
>     Any suggestions on how to 'shut off' wireless services on a
>     machine that doesn't really have too much in the way for access?
>
>     (Only access that I can see is through the memory card but that
>     only has data loaded no system information - - - no other visible
>     ports. Any ideas for hacks to disable this wireless module will be
>     gratefully accepted. (I do need the machine to work though so no -
>     - - sledge hammers aren't an
>     option!!! Have thought of using a farady cage but am not sure if
>     that's going to be sufficient.)
>
>     Regards
>
>     Dee
>
>     ---
>     Talk Mailing List
>     talk at gtalug.org <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>

Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||