[GTALUG] git - push and pull attached to different remotes?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Jun 5 19:27:09 EDT 2017

On 05/06/17 06:49 PM, Dhaval Giani via talk wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>     This isn't strictly a Linux question, but this list is a great
>     knowledge base and I know a lot of you use git.  Usually on Linux.
>     :-)
>
>     I've written a Python program that checks all of your repositories to
>     see if they're up-to-date with your remotes.  But given the
>     flexibility of git - and the output of 'git remote show origin' which
>     shows separate URLs for "Fetch" and "Push" - it's occurred to me that
>     it's probably NOT safe to assume that the Fetch and Push URLs are the
>     same.  But ... does anyone actually have different Fetch and Push
>     URLs?  Why would you do this?
>

> I do. On some machines, I don't have ssh-agent setup because I can't
> set it up :-). In that case, my push is to ssh and my fetch is from
> git://. (I hope you all use passcodes with your ssh keys :-) )
>
> Dhaval

I too have separate push and pull pointers on some repos, as they push
to upstream from my dev repo. The latter is often broken, as it saves
stuff from work and home, and gets pulled into the oddball repo to get
regression-tested, on it's way upstream.

It makes perfect sense to say "the regression-test repo of X is two
commits ahead of its source and up to date with its upstream", and
it'suseful.

--dave