[GTALUG] Tutorials on Linux command-line -- any interest?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 31 12:46:06 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 12:32:25PM -0400, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
> No, it wasn't always like that. AFAICR the ability to flash the BIOS from a
> memory stick is a more recent thing. Until this latest hardware upgrade I
> had not seen a motherboard that had the ability to reprogram itself without
> the need of some special program which would only run under either DOS or
> Windows.
>
> In the very early days flashing a BIOS meant pulling the memory chip out of
> the board and replacing it, or using a UV light to erase the EPROM
> containing the BIOS and reprogram it using a device for programming EPROMs.
> That was a very different time.

I remember ordering a BIOS from Microid Research (MR BIOS) to replace the
stock BIOS on an Asus 486 board.  What a huge improvement that chip was
over the original.  HD limit went from 500MB to 137GB, supported up to
4 floppies and 8 IDE drives, BIOS started boot in under 5 seconds from
power on, etc.  Wonderful thing.

Yeah it was a chip swap at that time to do a BIOS update.

--
Len Sorensen