[GTALUG] Tutorials on Linux command-line -- any interest?

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Jul 24 09:09:08 EDT 2017

Warm Greetings To GTALUG,

>From a Windows XP "orphan" and Linux newbie :)

Lately I haven't had much to say on this GTALUG email forum. No pressing issues needing help right now. Not pushy enough to waste GTALUG bandwidth with general musings.

However, in response to William Park's observations about the status of GTALUG, may say that I find good value in simply "lurking"? Often I am saving a snippet of wisdom copied from a GTALUG email, into one of the plain-text notes files I keep on various projects.

Actually William, your offer of a Linux command line tutorial caught my interest. If only I lived closer to the meeting venue ...

Except that I'm probably going to be using mksh rather than bash. But having some basic vi(m) skills could come in handy. Every time I've had to use vi, it's been the most frustrating hair-pulling nightmare just trying to get that stupid arcanely-user-interfaced program to do the simplest darn thing ...

* * *
* * *

Earlier, I received a some hugely helpful advice from GTALUG members, regarding my list of proposed components for a new desktop PC build. I revised the recipe accordingly. Got delayed with the PC build project, but am now back working on it. Made more revisions to the parts list, which is "almost" finalized now.

My beautiful new heavy-duty 24/7 desktop PC is replacing a very old Dell Windows XP PC. Bye bye Microsoft. Hello Linux. And I'm  counting on GTALUG as my go-to source of advice.

* * *
* * *

This new desktop PC will be running debian Linux (+ LXDE) as its primary OS.

I may install Windows (7 / 10) in case of a dire need for some Windows functionality. E.g. flashing the ASROCK mainboard bios. But just today (24 July 2017), I learned from D. Hugh Redelmeier's posting, about the FreeDOS alternative for flashing firmware, so I've tucked that idea away in a notes file for future reference -- Thanks Hugh !!

I hope to be building the new PC iwithin the next month. Real sson now.

No doubt, as I work to install debian Linux, and configure the disk drive, etc. I will be coming to GTALUG for advice.

* * *
* * *

So, my feedback to GTALUG is that the e-forum aspect of GTALUG is a very important resource for me (and I expect for a number of other "lurkers").

In addition, I find GTALUG email forum  to being a source of some very interesting wider tech-ralated musings, by knowledgeable members. I've even passed some interesting bits (e.g. apps detecting surveillance of cell phone traffic) on to the OpenMedia openmedia.org folks (re: concerns about muncipal police forces misusing RCMP-provided Sidewinder traffic sniffing).

I do regret that I live so far away from the Yonge St. + Dundas St. area, otherwise I would be attending GTALUG meetings.

Thanks to GTALUG for being there / here ...

Steve

* * *

P.S. I have an idea, for something GTALUG could consider doing, to re-energise, raise GTALUG visibility (and maybe raise a few dollars for GTALUG initiatives). An idea related to my new PC build. Once my build is done, I will raise this idea.

Steve Petrie, P.Eng.

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
(905) 847-3253
apetrie at aspetrie.net