[GTALUG] War Story: interestingly named firmware (BIOS) options

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 24 02:27:21 EDT 2017

I just bought an MSI Cubi (a cute little PC).

I'm having some problems so I want to flash new firmware.  Without a
windows license.  So that means FreeDOS for flashing.

I could not get FreeDOS to boot.  Only UEFI options were offered.  So I
asked on MSI's forum, and got a useful answer!  Even though the forum
looks a little like a ghost town, at least for the Cubi.

<https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289811.0>

The option to choose between "Legacy mode" and UEFI mode is called
"Windows 8/8.1 feature"; disabled means Legacy mode.

(I haven't yet tested this.)