[GTALUG] router upgrade; cheap WRT1200ac

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Jul 21 12:03:23 EDT 2017

On 07/21/2017 11:29 AM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 07:26:38AM -0700, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> There was one review on this router that mentioned that the radio was not
>> very good. Is this typical or just someone's bad experience ?
> Well I keep my 1900 in the basement and two floors above (in a 40 year
> old townhouse) I have no problem with 2.4 and 5ghz connections to the
> devices I have around.
>
> It's better than the radio in any previous router I have had.
>
> So not sure what some people consider good or bad radio.  The cpu and
> radio are both marvell.  Maybe some people prefer atheros/qualcomm or
> broadcom or intel (not sure they do anything on the AP side).

The trouble is that the "radio" is really just about signal strength,
quality of modulation and sensitivity, demodulation.
Received signal strength is about the radio power and the antenna
design/placement and stuff between and around the transmitter and receiver.

The only way to tell the true quality of the "radio" would be to get
some high quality RF test equipment.
So a subjective "the radio is not very good" is kind of meaningless in
and of itself.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (416)585-9971x690
Interlink Connectivity        ||   fax:   (416)585-9974