[GTALUG] router upgrade; cheap WRT1200ac

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 21 10:20:04 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 06:15:10PM -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Where 'would' you notice the difference?

Well a client that supported 3 streams would be able to get a faster
connection than the typical 2 or 1 stream clients.

Of course it is possible that in some cases the 4 antenna system would get
a better connection to a client and hence slightly faster just due to the
position the antennas happen to be in.  I have no idea how likely that is.

Now a MU-MIMO router could split the streams to different clients at
the same time as far as I understand it, but that is not a feature of
these routers.  Also MU-MIMO only works if the client devices also
support the protocol, and almost none do yet.

--
Len Sorensen