[GTALUG] hoping for help

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Sat Jul 15 11:41:06 EDT 2017

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 22:23:05 -0300
Ann Pohl via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Hi. Anyone want to do their bit for the environment by helping me get
> set up? I am not wanting to be an OS computer whiz. I have a full plate
> already doing environmental protection'defense work-activism, and being
> a grandmother etc..
>
> ...I am currently shopping for a new not-fancy computer and need some
> recommendations on which would be best for installing Linux-Ubuntu in a
> dual boot, and I also need an affordable technician to help me do that
> when I get the computer.
>
> Usually I am in eastern NB but am in the GTA for the summer. I have
> technical support down there, but not up here. My kids are buying me a
> new computer and I need some guidance. I use the Linux - Ubuntu side
> mostly for my work because it deals with a lot of security issues.
>
> Thanks for considering this request. Ann Pohl

Ann,

   I post my Linux installation instructions on my website.  Installing
Linux is not difficult.  I run mostly Fedora, but I have installed
Ubuntu and Slackware, and my instructions are up there.  Being able to
install your own OS is good.  It keeps your computer out of the hands
of repair technicians.

   As a note to everybody else, it would be a good  thing if we all
posted install instructions.  It will be a resource for all the newbies
out there.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca