[GTALUG] Interest in an IM for TLUG?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:05:34 EDT 2017

On 13 July 2017 at 17:00, Mauro Souza via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> What about IRC? It's a "no setup needed" solution, everyone can install a
> client, and there's lots of servers to choose from...

Indeed.

These days, there's a web interface into freenode.net, which is a
widely-used existing IRC server that I have used for other things.
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=gtalug  There are a whole bunch of
access methods, nicely demonstrated thus:
http://old.haxe.org/com/meeting/irc, though that article misses the
emergence of "apps"; there are certainly some Android apps for this, such
as HoloIRC (source on GitHub), and there sure are more than that.

For the purpose that we have, I'd think that good enough.  Authentication
does not appear too terribly important for agreeing on a public place to
eat.

I'd be really loath to set up a server for this; I'd much rather point to
freenode for the once-in-a-while need.  That seems to be about the right
level of technology for the purpose.

Supposing this turns out to be an agreeable approach, we would presumably
create a wiki page akin to http://old.haxe.org/com/meeting/irc with a bit
more modern information (such as links to Android clients).