[GTALUG] Cheap vs Inexpensive (Was: router upgrade)

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Jul 13 17:03:45 EDT 2017

On 12/07/17 12:07 AM, William Park via talk wrote:
> TP-Link is cheap and disposable.

When I see this phrasing, I think poor quality, and I'm curious if that
is your intention?

 From my own experience, this is not the case. I'v been using TP-Link
gear for over a decade, in personal and professional settings (having
worked at an ISP). I find TP-Link to be of good quality. Some of my
personal units I've had in service for 5 years.

Wireless Router:
Archer C7 (x2)
TL-MR3020 (x3)
TL-MR3040 (x1)
Tl-WR810N (x1)

Switches:
TL-SG1008D (x2)
TL-SG105 (x2)
TL-SF1005D (x1)

Managed Switch:
TL-SG2008 (x1)

Let's not confuse cheap and inexpensive. I've take part routers sold
under Bell's name, and various TP-Links. TP-Link has made an art of
minimizing costs, without compromising the end product.

Tricks like, standing the LEDs on the leads up to the case, instead of
using light pipes. Or my favorite, not populating the JR-45 contacts for
ports that are only 10/100. This saves half the copper cost per port.
There was a point they even did that with the cable shipped in the box,
but those days are long behind us.

TP-Link waits for a technology and chipset has been proven by a higher
tier OEM. They takes advantage of lower cost volume purchasing after the
ramp up is done by the chip vendor.

TP-Link keeps software costs low, by using and then releasing the
open-source code that makes part of their firmware.

TP-Link don't waste money on Marketing, or building 'Performance'
products that appeal to Egos and number chasers.

The are inexpressible, and uninteresting, because it's the tech that's
already been shown to work and is known.

--
Scott Sullivan