[GTALUG] Interest in an IM for TLUG?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 13 16:48:24 EDT 2017

Hi all.

A couple of casual; conversations took place before and after Tuesday's
meeting regarding the "where to eat" issue. I suggested that maybe some
situations such as this could benefit from a real-time chat system.

Scott mentioned the PITA factor of TLUG itself creating and monitoring an
instant messaging group, so I am volunteering to set this up IFF demand
exists.

That does not mean everyone has to love it, and email will continue to be
the "official" place for meeting notices and official business. But I
thought this might be better for those of us who are getting tired of email
threads, and the newer generation that by and large detests email.

The preferred (and arbitrarily chosen) tool is "Telegram". It's support for
Linux is excellent, it has a (unofficial) Pidgin plugin available, and a
user base already in the hundreds of millions. I know that many have Skype
but I'm trying to wind its use down; the latest update, with all the
sine-wave animations, is dreadful.

​So... please speak up if you think this would be a good thing. If you
won't use it, that's OK too. All I'm looking for is reasonable expectation
of use.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto, Canada