[GTALUG] router upgrade

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Thu Jul 13 16:09:21 EDT 2017

On 11/07/17 07:25 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> So - - - I should just buy another one? (asus rt-n16)
>
> I'm thinking the one I have might get another 2 years and the next one
> would need to
> last until at least 2024 to give good value. Was thinking that an
> upgrade would be nice
> by 2019.
>
> Dee

I'm kinda disappointed that no one has asked what you hope to get out of
your upgrade?

# Faster Wifi?

We are on 802.11ac Wave 2 new, two generation beyond N, and with AD
coming in a year or so. Do you have devices that would take advantage of
that?

# Better Networking?

What are your current Internet Speeds, are you expecting to upgrade them
to 100Mbps, or lucky enough to get 1Gbps?

# IPv6 Support?

Do you have a provider offering this? (Yes, if on Teksavvy DSL)

# Budget?

$50, $150, $500, I've got recommendation in each category.

People are throwing out suggestion without understanding your needs.
Please tells us more about why your upgrading, beside just 'it's old'.
If the current hardware is mostly meeting your needs, what are your
concerns or pain points?

--
Scott Sullivan