[GTALUG] "'Opens source' is not 'free software'"

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jul 13 10:24:47 EDT 2017

On 07/13/2017 10:02 AM, ac via talk wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:37:12 -0400
> lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:
>> they want.  So yes the GPL gives each user less freedom in the
>> interest of giving all users that same level of freedom in using the
>> code.
>>
>> Different goal.
>>
> I know what you are trying to say, but...
>
> end users of gpl or bsd code have exactly the same freedom.
>
> developers using bsd code and dev using gpl code have different freedoms.
>
> and as you said, and I said in my original reply, depends on the
> goal(s) - as they are different
>
> Andre

I believe the difference is that BSD allows an end user to take the code
and make the code part of a closed product where enchantments and
changes to the code are not shared.

So the next person in the chain cannot have the advantage of access to
the source.

I believe that the Microsoft network stack is an example of this, where
MS took the BSD network stack and incorporated it into Windows but none
of the  BSD code or changes were visible to purchasers or normal
developers  of Windows.

Its about propagation of freedom.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||