[GTALUG] "'Opens source' is not 'free software'"

ac ac at main.me
Wed Jul 12 23:44:51 EDT 2017

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 17:09:55 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I found this article interesting and useful
> <https://opensource.com/business/16/11/open-source-not-free-software>
> This guy disagrees:
> <https://meshedinsights.com/2017/06/07/free-vs-open/>

imho, it is semantics / point of view..

my own pov (ymmv): Truly free and truly open is everything BSD licensed
(including my own BSD released code/projects/software) my GPL etc
licensed software is open, and free if you are only a user, but not so
much free if you are a dev, etc. :)

otherwise it is open and sometimes (depending on your own pov (as a
user/luser/dev/etc) free and sometimes only open and not free, etc.

So, basically, both links above are somewhat correct and somewhat
wrong, all at the same time :)

Andre