[GTALUG] router upgrade

Myles Braithwaite 👾 me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Tue Jul 11 10:19:27 EDT 2017

Jason Shaw wrote:
> Myles, how's the range on this one?  I have an older ASUS that does a
> good job hitting all four floors (100+ years old Victorian) for the most
> part, but it's starting to show it's age.

Farms a 150+ year old double brick house and it reaches first and second
floors and ~20 feet into the orchard out back.

I helped a friends this weekend who wanted access on all four floors of
there house. They had a access point on the second floor and it wasn't
reaching the basement or the bottom floor.

We ended up running an ethernet able from the basement to the top floor
and having two access points. It provided the best options.

Also getting high bandwidth stuff (i.e. video streaming, gaming
desktops, etc) off the Wifi gave the low bandwidth stuff (i.e. laptops,
tablets, music streaming, etc) better access.