[GTALUG] Router advice sought

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 31 12:28:30 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 07:09:21PM -0500, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> … no no, none at all. Not even a bit. :-)
>
> Thanks also to William Park for the Wireless N suggestion. My last one
> was N, and if I'm to make this outlast my next couple of desktops, then
> AC it was.
>
> I went with the refurbished Linksys - and discovered that despite the
> “Open Source ready” notice on the product page, the WRT1900ACSv2 that I
> got has the locked-down-at-the-FCC's-request USA wireless drivers. I
> don't know if I can back them out by saying that I'm a nice Canadian.
> Digging around the LEDE pages it says that the hardware is identical to
> the v1 router, just got a bit of software locked away. Dammit.

Well the only bit locked away has to do with radio power settings
apparently.  That means they are doing what the FCC wanted in the way
the FCC wanted it done, not the way everyone else did it (meaning they
are locking away the radio power settings, but not the OS).

As far as I can tell, the support for the WRT1900ACS v2 has been in
lede builds since late December, 2016, so it actually ought to work,
and certainly some people say that using snapshot builds from the last
month do work.

I can't check, since mine is a WRT1900ACv2 which is the same as the
WRT1900ACS v1 as far as the wifi power tables are concerned.

--
Len Sorensen