[GTALUG] Boot problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 23 09:55:59 EST 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 09:20:03AM -0500, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> cat /proc/cmdline indicated GRUB2 was trying to boot from /dev/sda1 despite
> the provisioning for UUIDs in /etc/fstab.
>
> In debian, the /etc/default/grub file has a line
> "GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true".  Commenting that out, update-grub2 and
> reboot and a now have a nice clean boot.

That would certainly explain it.

I think some years ago there was a question during a package install
about switching to UUIDs, and if you told it no at that time, it would
have written that entry to the grub config.  That would be when Debian
was transitioning to the UUID use for grub.

I think the question isn't even asked anymore, but apparently that
doesn't mean the value got removed from older systems when the question
was removed.

All I can find in the changelog is that a commented out line was added
in 2008 that could be uncommented to disable the use of UUID in grub.

--
Len Sorensen