[GTALUG] Boot problem

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Sat Jan 21 12:58:50 EST 2017

Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> I am seeing a problem at boot time that has appeared in kernels after
> 4.3.0-1-amd64.
>
> My system will boot, show the available debian kernels, select the
> latest and then jump into initramrs.  It claims it can not mount dev and
> other partitions and, indeed, an ls on the mounted /dev/sda1 shows that
> my esata drive has been mounted as root!

Debian generates an initramfs at kernel-install time; is it possible
that the esata was mounted when you installed that kernel?  Maybe run
update-initramfs again after booting without the esata connected.

Linux can get its own weird ideas about enumeration order of disks,
network cards, PCI slots, etc, and that's why we have UUIDs and I
thought the Debian initramfs ought to remember the specific UUID of the
root device it was generated to use.  However, I don't have any
Debian-amd64 hardware to check at home here.

--
Anthony de Boer