[GTALUG] Boot problem

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Fri Jan 20 16:26:31 EST 2017

I am seeing a problem at boot time that has appeared in kernels after
4.3.0-1-amd64.

My system will boot, show the available debian kernels, select the
latest and then jump into initramrs.  It claims it can not mount dev and
other partitions and, indeed, an ls on the mounted /dev/sda1 shows that
my esata drive has been mounted as root!

To boot properly I must power off the esata, boot and wait until the
boot is proceeding from the system disk, then power up the esata.

The bios boot order is set to boot from the (correct) system disk.

/etc/fstab is set to boot using UUIDs, and all UUIDs are correct.

The esata drive is not bootable.

Can anyone suggest something to look at or try? I would expect that if
grub was able to show me my images it would be able to load them, even
if the esata was available.

--
Michael Galea