[GTALUG] Question

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:11:20 EST 2017

On Jan 12, 2017 2:30 PM, "Dhaval Giani via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:24 PM, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Jason Shaw via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:
>> I feel obligated to point out freshbooks.com as Accounting as a Service
>> based here in Toronto.  I do work there, so I'm a touch biased, but it

<snip>

> Sorry - - - lots of companies/people think the web is secure. I'm not one
of
> them - - - - especially when it comes to financial data.

I feel obligated to point out here that it is more often the case that
a cloud provider is more secure than a standalone solution. If only
because they can afford to spend more on hiring people to work on
security full time.

I'd agree with this. Point to point, and end to end a larger network of
trusted users tends to be more stable, from a security standpoint, than an
ad hoc network.

TOR endpoint monitoring is one kind of example of how security through
obscurity was easily thwarted. However someone would still need the key, or
an enormous amount of resources to decrypt any actual data.

The web is only one class of internet layer transport. If your device is
personally secured and your app encrypts for push/pull telemetry, data is
generally safe enough when using the web as an entry point, operational
errors notwithstanding.

Russell
Sent from mobile.

Thanks!