[GTALUG] Samba Nobody (File ownership) problems returns

Stephen stephen-d at rogers.com
Mon Jan 9 10:59:07 EST 2017

Scenario

Samba is installed and used on server running Ubuntu 16.10. In addition
to server software, normal desktop programs are installed. Certain
folders are shared. Guests may access and create files. Windows
computers copy files to the shared folders. These files have ownership
of nobody:nobody I have two Windows 10 computers. The problem happens
with both,

Desired behaviour

These files are given ownership of the owner of the directory.

Method

The samba.conf file has an entry for each shared folder, like this:

[public]
comment = Stephen Public
path = /home/stephen/Public
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
force user = stephen
force group = stephen

Situation

This has been working as desired since I did a new install of 16.10.
Today I noticed the nobody ownership problem. I had it after the install
of 16.10 because I forgot to update samba.conf. Hence the return of the
problem.

It has been a week since I did a file copy that worked as desired. I
copy files infrequently.

It is worse. A sudo chown to change permissions to stephen:stephen
executed without error. But within nautilus the context menu on the
files had the commands to rename and delete greyed out. Even though the
permissions section of the properties did say the ownership was changed.

I have not made any configuration changes. I have performed one, maybe
two, system updates. There has also been a Windows 10 update.

Any and all help appreciated.

--
Stephen