[GTALUG] A question about boot

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jan 5 09:35:00 EST 2017

I have not had much experience with ARM booting but with Intel devices a
normal linux kernel has the ability to write any and all devices.

If you boot with something like Xen then you should be able to lock out
some devices because the Xen kernel is actually managing the system
security.

There is a Xen kernel available for ARM but I have never worked with it.

Likely the easiest would be to put the boot into a write protected USB
device.

Take a look at
http://www.fencepost.net/2010/03/usb-flash-drives-with-hardware-write-protection/

It appears that my suggestion of an SD card may have a bad one since
from the above article SD cards are using the switch only as a signal to
the OS of write-protectedness.

alvin at netvel.net              ||