[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi Zero w/ Wifi + Bluetooth Released today...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Feb 28 13:13:19 EST 2017

What intrigued me about the Zero is that it can be a USB Gadget
(device as opposed to host).

Unfortunately, you could not reasonably hook up a terminal and mouse
at the same time since you would need to tie up the only USB port for
conflicting purposes.

The Zero W fixes this: you can use the USB as gadget and use
bluetooth for keyboard and mouse.

Sadly, I just don't have time to play with this.

Here's an application I've daydreamed about:

KVM switches with modern video interfaces are expensive (DVI, HDMI,
DisplayPort).

HDMI selector switches are cheap.

How can you build an inexpensive USB switch for keyboard and
mouse emulation?  Devices with multiple USB Host ports are common but
device ports are rare.  One Pi Zero W per computer seems wasteful but
it is actually cheap compared with a KVM switch.

One hacky solution: use two switches, an HDMI selector switch and a
cheap VGA/USB KVM switch.  Just don't hook up the VGA part.