[GTALUG] Watching a network folder: is there a smart way of doing this?

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 21:24:10 EST 2017

On 2017-02-20 12:47 AM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:

> Hi Stewart, you could just |watch| the file listing (adjusting n seconds
> to whatever is suitable)
>
> |watch --differences -n 10 ls -l </path/to/shared/dir>|

I hadn't heard of watch before, so thanks! watch *started* to work
really well, but then went into a terminal sulk after the FS disappeared
during a scan, and refused to show any updates. It's also an interactive
program, so doesn't pipe or notify changes in any useful way.

I suspect I'll just have to go with William Park's suggestion of using
rsync to a local folder that I have more control over. I still have to
correct for the scanner FS's wandering clock, but that's less important.

cheers,
 Stewart